The Secretary/Manager shall have specific responsibilities for implementing the policies and programs of the Council as it relates to its functions.
In particular the Secretary/Manager is required to:-
- Perform the role of clerk to the Council and its committees including advising the Council and Committee of the laws and regulations governing the various services, and taking appropriate actions to ensure that directives and decisions arising from these meetings are carried out expeditiously.
- Ensure that those constituents of the parish are adequately provided with all civic amenities such as market, parks, gardens, public bathing and fishing beaches, public cleansing, sanitation facilities, abattoirs, cemeteries and pound.
- Direct and control the staff and operations of the secretariat to ensure that the functions are undertaken in an effective and efficient manner.
Responsibilities and Duties
a. Secretary/Manager shall have specific responsibility to: perform as clerk to the Council and various Committee by:-
- Prepare the Agenda
- Summoning Meetings
- Preparing minutes of the meeting
- Guiding and advising the Chairman and other members of the Council and the Committee in the procedures and observance of outstanding orders for the orderly conduct of the business of the council and committee in application of the laws and regulations which governs the various services which are provided by the Parish Council
b. Take appropriate action for the implementation of decisions taken and directives issued by the Council and Committees by:
- Communicating with Ministries and department of Government and with constituents of the parish.
- Liaising with the officers responsible for the delivery of service either at the Parish Council or central government level through the region administration officers or through the Ministry’s Head office
- Articulating and explaining policies determined by the council at conferences with public and private sector organization.
- Instituting a follow-up system to ensure that policies are implemented and services maintained at an acceptable standard;
- And reviewing programmes and systems and taking corrective action where necessary.
c. Ensure that the constituents of the parish are adequately provided with all civic amenities such as markets, parks, gardens and median strip, public bathing and fishing beaches, public cleansing , sanitation facilities, abattoirs, cemeteries and pounds by:
- Arrange the provision of these amenities by Lessees/Contractors;
- Monitor reports on the performance of Lessees and contractors, to identify cases where performance is below standard of expectations; and
- Taking appropriate corrective action.
d. Maintain good public relations with members of the public by:
- Receiving them and discussing matters raised
- Advising them on the appropriate courses of action
e. Manage the affairs of the secretariat by:
- Interviewing and selecting personnel for employment by the Council
- Submitting recommendations for appointment of staff to the Council and to the Parish Services Commission;
- Negotiating on the Council behalf, with Trade Union and Staff Associations in respect of terms and conditions of employment and in relations to industrial disputes.
- Advising the Ministry of Local Government on promotion, training needs, discipline and recruitment of staff members
- Interpreting and implementing Government’s policy as it affects personnel
- Approving vacation leave for staff members; and
- Ensuring suitable replacements are made for staff members on vacation leave.
- Ensuring that financial regulations are adhered to;
- Ensuring the containment of expenditure within the approved budget allocations
- Preparing (with the assistance of the Assistant Secretary/Manager and Council) the annual estimates of the Income and Expenditure, within the period prescribed in the Act or by regulations; and
- Submitting for approval of the Minister the annual estimates of income and expenditure
- Dealing with reports of the Auditor General
- Dealing with issues arising from the Public Accounts Committee
- Examine Financial Statements prepared by the Ministry of Local Government with a view to : a) identifying areas where savings and economy may be affected, b) determined their accuracy, and c) controlling Heads of Expenditure to ensure that they are not exceeding; and
- Liaising with the Ministry of Local Government to ensure that cash is available to meet expenditure for the proper functioning of the Parish Council
- Ensuring the drafting of the tender documents to be made available to parties offering to provide the services and that the documents are legally valid
- Ensuring the publication of invitations for public tender for the delivery of services for which the Council is responsible, and that tenders are received in sealed envelopes and place in the tender box within the time specified in the publication.
- Ensuring that the integrity of the tendering procedure is maintained and that the tenders are opened in the public by the Tenders Committee at the time and place stipulated in notice published.
- Evaluating the tenders received and identified by the Tender Committee and preparing submissions on the evaluation of tenders for considerations and recommendations if the Council receive the timely approval of the Ministry of Local Government;
- Ensuring that the successful tender execute the appropriate documents for the providing of services
Recommending to the Council, the termination of contracts where performance fails to meet levels of expectation, putting in motion the procedures for inviting fresh tenders and awards by to ensure that there are not exceeded; and awards of new contracts.
- Reviewing performance of staff against plans
- Taking corrective actions where variations exists;
- Consulting with and counselling staff in th e performance of duties
- Determining priorities; and
- Rescheduling priorities where circumstances require for achievement of objectives
Post Directly Supervised
- Parish Superintendent, Field Services, Assistant Secretary/Manager, Planning Coordinator, Administration and Secretary/Stenographer
The Secretary of the Council is expected to have contacts with Other Parish Councils, The Senior Officers of the Ministry of Local Government and in other Ministries where a liaison relationship is imperative to the efficient performance of his job.